Monday, February 2, 2009

Fire in the Sky

I landed in Arequipa this morning!

The weather is gorgeous and so is the city. There are a lot more people than I expected and everyone is in a hurry. Road rules are nothing more than an idea here. This morning has mostly been the landlord for the apartments that we stay in touring me around the city. His name is Jorge - a short, lively man who slips between Spanish and English so much it's hard to keep up with what language he is currently speaking. But he was great.

Everyone here speaks Spanish. So if I say: 'How much does that cost?' or 'That's not enough?', people won't answer me. So I'm thinking that I might have to stick with Spanish.

I'm exhausted, exhausted so I am going to go explore some more and then retire to my apartment. Tomorrow is my first day in San Isidro - the village I will be working in.

I wanted to close with a story from the plane: Last night, as we were flying over Mexico, for miles I saw these gigantic fires. Hundreds of them (and I know the difference between a fire and a light). I couldn't understand what they were for and all I wanted to do was go explore. Anyway, made me think of the magnitude of the adventure I'm embarking on... Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter