Saturday, May 2, 2009

La Gripe Porcina

This week was full of successes and rest. Friday was Labor Day in Peru, so schools were closed and I didn´t travel to Coporaque. And, the Arequipan government is shutting down schools on Monday and Tuesday to teach educators how to prevent the Swine Flu. It´s been good to have a bit of time off.

This week:
: We successfully organized the mothers of San Isidro to take over the breakfast project. My idea of community development is to empower the people to better their own community. So, in a meeting last week, I proposed that instead of us buying food and preparing food for their kids; instead, we should help the mothers give food to their children. So, we made the plan, went to the market with them, and now the mothers are making the food every morning.

: We also had two new long-term volunteers move in and start helping out. I also found the volunteers (I think) who will take over my projects when I leave.


Last week we had two major events in San Isidro. On Sunday was the 9th anniversary of San Isidro. It was full of dancing, food, and fun. On Monday, in the afternoon, we had the opening of the exposition of pieces of knitting that the mothers have been working on for a year. The following is a slideshow of both events.




On Monday and Tuesday, I'm off with a couple of friends to trek in Colca Canyon. Expect pictures on Wednesday.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter